Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The beginning.......

The PQ beginning that is......as you all know I went to Tulsa over the weekend with the PK to visit papa and so everyone could meet Andrew. The trip went really well and I was so happy to see papa and granny! I can say that papa was in good spirits and I think our visit did him some good-although he tired easily and that is expected. Everyone loved Andrew, as I suspected they would, and we ate and ate and ate and ate some more-as Jess likes to put it (and I love this) "have some gravy with your gravy" and believe me we did! Granny did us proud!

Anyways back to my title-Andrew and I decided to go to Claremore and see where it all began for me in a sense-well where I grew up. I have to say that things seem so much bigger when you are small; like my house and the neighborhood and even the roads..........it was bittersweet in a sense. It seemed like it was a lifetime ago and another life altogether. But it was real and I could remember every thing about growing up here, right down to the powder puff 3-wheeler and the driveway I used to speed down-oh and my lemonade stand!

I took some pictures, but really everything looked run down and old-but I guess that's what happens when time moves on; I can't explain how weird it felt to be in this place I grew up but it seemed like it was not me that was there-but I was the one with all of the memories of it. So as we progressed down memory lane I started to get real emotional-well OK I started to do the ugly cry in the car. The PK hung in there and we talked it out, but you have to realize this was like a smack in the face of what life used to be like and that would involve my dad.......needless to say I was happy to see the place but just as happy to leave it behind. I guess in a sense running again from the reality of what my parental situation really is......just not ready yet to get all of the skeletons out of the closet, it sits so close to the surface yet feels very far away.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

awwhhh Tam!!! That sounds like such a bitter sweet trip!

I am glad that you went and everyone loved Andrew, and that you got to take him to where you came from and he got to experience that with you. I am sure that it made the two of you closer.
Glad that he got to meet you Papa. That is an important moment. The two men in you life meeting. =)